Monday, July 23, 2007

Of Water and the Spirit

You've heard little from me lately because I've been engaged in an intensive summer practicum in hospital chaplaincy called CPE since the end of May. I still have about two weeks left in the program, but wanted to share one thing with you.

Today I had the privilege of welcoming a week-old baby boy into the Church. That's right, in my capacity as hospital chaplain, I was called upon today to confer my first baptism. I was shaking the whole time. The nurse took a Polaroid picture to record the event for the family. (The pictured baby is not the actual baby--confidentiality and all that--just one borrowed from the internet)



All I can say is: WOW.

12 Comments:

Blogger ~pen~ said...

*wow*, indeed... :)

(you helped me a ton, btw. i feel so much better!)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

m2,

glad to hear it, and glad we had a chance to talk--keep the faith!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Is it just me or does that kid look like he (she?) KNOWS what's going on?

-J.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Actually, Joe, he's looking at the camera thinking, "That is NOT my better side!"

Mark:

Wow.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Very cool.

10:50 AM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Glad to hear an update.
And very, very cool.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Mark,

That is so awesome! We are so proud.

Love,
Mom

8:21 AM  
Blogger DP said...

Great work--sounds like a moment of grace for you as well.

12:55 PM  
Blogger smpitts said...

Congrats! I've heard of people having bad experiences with CPE programs, so I'm glad you're having a good one.

Are you coming to vows?

Stephen

6:05 PM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

That's awesome.

Hospital chaplains are so important. I wound up in the emergency room twice and needed surgery each time. Having a priest there as soon as I wanted one for Anointing of the Sick gave me much comfort during really difficult times.

That said, bad hospital chaplains can do a lot of damage. I'm glad you're in such a great program.

God bless. Thinking of you often.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats Mark! What a special day for you and the baby.

-drea

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now you understand how powerful the Sacraments are, not in an intellectual way but in a "I just got to be a part of that" way.

How cool is that?

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus