Thursday, September 01, 2005

I'm Back

Thanks everyone for your prayers. It was a good retreat, though I can't say there weren't any distractions. I almost ended my retreat two days early because I was jumping out of my skin! But Jesus calmed me down. After all, what was I going to do to help people in New Orleans besides pray, which I was already doing.

But every time I think about the implications of what's happened and is still happening in Mississippi and Louisiana it just boggles my mind! So many of my brothers and friends are having their lives turned upside down! The place where I've done grocery shopping for the last two years was looted yesterday! How, I wonder, can I go on just as if everything is normal? And, really, who cares about the Red Sox? I know that statement borders on heresy, but right now all other news seems insignificant.

There are so many questions that just lead to more questions that lead to the one inevitable conclusion: Things will never be the same, and they won't be better for a long, long time. This might seem a little whiney for someone who's high and dry in Massachusetts, but as I was in New Orleans just two weeks ago, and living there just a few months ago, I guess this is my version of survivior's guilt.

Pray for an end to the chaos, and that people will be saved and get the help they need. Thanks.

Peace,

Mark

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't need to remind you that you are where you are because that is where you are supposed to be.

But maybe you need to tell yourself that more often. Guilt of that kind is not of God and serves no earthly purpose.

Now get back to work on your book, and thank goodness I can stop talking.

Maggie

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm very sorry that you had such a disrupted retreat. :(

1:28 AM  
Blogger ukok said...

A great many of us over here in England are praying for those who suffer in this tragedy. Watching the news makes us feel so helpless. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as a nation, because we know in our own experience, that what devastates one area, impacts upon the whole.

God Bless.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Welcome back. We missed you.

And thanks for sharing that post about the university. I just heard a story on NPR about colleges welcoming displaced students. I hadn't even thought of that implication of the disaster. The proportions are just so huge!

1:42 PM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

just wanted to add my *welcome back* - i've missed you, too.

penni

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus