Monday, April 02, 2007

I Didn't Get A Cell Phone Until I Was 37: What is the world coming to?!


I hope this doesn't seem mean, but I have to admit I got a chuckle out of this Letter to the Editor from today's New York Times (Now I know why they never print my letters!):

Re “Child Wants Cellphone; Reception Is Mixed” (Thursday Styles, March 29):

I didn’t get a cellphone until I was well out of high school, and I understood that it wasn’t something that humans needed as an essence of their survival, but rather a luxury that was very convenient.

At this point, my cellphone is an 11th finger, and it is a personal travesty when I forget it at home for even a few hours.

To see these kids — barely out of diapers — romping around with cutesy cellphones makes me a little repulsed.

For one thing, no 7-year-old should be in a position not to have the supervision of an adult. And it makes me a little insecure to think that 7-year-olds have a social life similar to mine, in the way that they should need a cellphone, as I do.

At this rate, we’re going in the direction of giving our dogs cellphones.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

One of the funniest things I ever saw with a cellphone was in a church in Florence in Italy, where they had huge signs up telling you not to use cellphones, and dragons with loud walkie talkies trying to enforce silence. Right up near the altar, a cell phone went off. The Frenchwoman owner answered it and began speaking. The dragon-guard tried to tell her to turn it off. The Frenchwoman ran off down the aisle still talking on her cellphone. The dragon-guard used her walkie-talkie to try and get others to get the cellphone turned off. It was like something out of Monty Python, except cell phones weren't really invented then.

1:22 AM  
Blogger michael said...

Incidentally, there must be some dogs with cell phones:

http://www.petsmobility.com/petscell/

yikes.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

my daughter (age 10) was a beta tester for a new cell phone for "tweener" kids. It was supposed to be way cool and fun to have and use. The only thing was, no one else she knew had a cell phone so she had no one to call on it but us and we were always with her because she was too young to go anywhere without at least one parent. So, needless to say she rarely used it and we gave it back when the testing time was over.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus