Sunday, April 01, 2007

Broken "Vows"

I'm really bummed about this:

Jesuits Break Ties With “Vows”

By Steven Assom

Jesuit seminarians at Fordham University have been asked by their superiors to cease from offering their support to the planned new television series “Vows” on cable channel AMCT. The seminarians reportedly had been meeting with one of the producers of the new series without having sought permission from their formation superior. “I think being involved in a such a project could really distract from their studies and threaten their vocation,” said Fr. Frank Sullivan, who directs the Bronx seminary program.

The U.S. Jesuit Convention, which directs the work of the religious order throughout the United States, also expressed concern in a press release issued on Friday. It reads: “The USJC is very concerned with the negative fallout that could result from such a show, especially if it were to be considered something of an ‘insider’s view’ into the workings of the Society, and its formation process.” The show was said to be modeled on the Fordham program.

In light of the recent PETA charges against the Trappist monastery in Monks Corner, SC, there was also some concerned expressed about an episode that was rumored to depict a Jesuit seminarian hunting squirrels. “We’ve already got a bad enough reputation when it comes to other things. Everyone has a conspiracy theory about us. We just don’t need the added publicity that being portrayed as ‘squirrel killers’ would bring,” said Jesuit Convention President Thomas Sorich.

Meanwhile, the Fordham seminarians are not sure what to make of all this. “I feel as if they’ve taken my Irish Tin Whistle away and broke it in two,” said seminarian Ron Done, “I really thought this show would bring us positive attention. I’m not sure what the powers-that-be are so worried about. We told Karen (the producer) no episodes about Crazy Cajuns, and to absolutely stay away from anything having to do with V-Day.” Yet, the Jesuits are wary of trusting Hollywood insiders. “We’ve been burnt before,” said Sorich.

Meanwhile, Done hopes to devote his extra time to some of his own projects. His Irish music tutorial is already a huge hit on YouTube. And now that ties have been broken with “Vows,” he hopes to devote more time to animated features. He has contracted with the creators of “Charlie the Unicorn” to develop two sequels, which will be produced simultaneously to reduce production costs, “I Second That Emo-Shun” and “Escape From Candy Mountain.” “It’s much easier working with unicorns,” says Done, “since they don’t really exist, they’re not so worried about their reputation.”

Producer Karen Hell, when finally reached for comment said, “I can’t believe this. It’s like one big April Fool’s Joke.” This reporter agrees.

13 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

You duped me, Mark.

And I let myself be duped!

AMDG,

-J.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

ooohhh you had me going. Really though April Fools is sooo declasse. Lets see you pull off a Mischef night prank... several of us students at Loyola N.O. had been known to get sertian jesuits (Eddie, Bernardi, Wheling when he was there, and others.)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Kat,

I sooo want to correct your spelling!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Dagnabbit!

You did something like this last year too! And I was totally going to say something about the "Ron Done" misspelling!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Mark,

Bernardi even gave up on my spelling and that is something. It is 10x better then it used to be because of him but it still is horrid I know.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

Gah. Good thing I read to the end of the post before sending emails to anyone I could at Fordham...

Almost as good as google's TiSP joke.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Duuuhhh I thought you were serious. But in my defence it was already the 2nd this side of the dateline ;-)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This was as good as last year, I just about got all the way through before I remembered what day you wrote it on.


You are getting really good at the Ironic twist. I like the Karne Hell, I wonder what she will think.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Maggie,

I was inspired by Karen's current preoccupation with said topic.

I've been waiting for Karen to comment, but she evidently hasn't made a visit in the last 36 hours or so.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Karen's personal threat alert is at "Magenta" on account of some alleged slights she made against the United Manicurists of America.

-J.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

you so had me going. Wow. April fools on me 5 days late!

Blessed triduum!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

oh and the blogger word verification has no business putting a "w" and a "v" together. It was really hard to figure out where one started and the other left off! feel free to delete this one, Mark!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You scared the absolute hell out of me. So I need a new last name.

Sorry it took me so long to be duped, but I'm been busy with, you know, working on the show and trying to be holy for Holy Week.

I've been living with suitcases on my bedroom floor for six weeks, trying to get well enough to go to NY. I'm sleeping in the guest room to avoid the Family Cold. I think I'm getting on a plane Monday night. I haven't heard from the Ciszek guys lately, but I figure it's Holy Week...

And then I read this.

Okay, I think my heart has started to beat again.

Well...I'm not sure, all things considered, it's a good idea to spend the Triduum figuring out how to get back at a Jesuit...but somehow I think St. Ignatius would understand.

(And on top of all else, it's really well written!)

What did I do with John Brown's phone number.......

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus