Thursday, March 29, 2007

"Yes, My Child"

I watched about a minute of the show "Medium" last night. Long enough to watch a creepy looking priest walk into a crazy young woman's bedroom, and say that he had come to pray with her. I knew where that was going, so I decided not to watch.

And, of course, he referred to her as "My Child." Now when have you ever heard a priest who wasn't on television or in a movie (and who wasn't joking) ever refer to another person as "my child"? The phrase should be stricken from the TV and screenwriters vocabulary! (Note to Karen and Barbara Hall, and all you other Hollywood types out there!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Garpu said...

Yeah that was a cringe-worthy TV moment. Although I can't think of a TV show that actually gets Catholicism right.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Amy L. Cavender, CSC said...

Ugh. I heard Fr. Mulcahy use that phrase often enough on M*A*S*H*, but the number of times I've heard an actual priest use it amounts to precisely: zero.

I don't watch Medium, but it sounds like a creepy episode. And even when shows aren't being hostile, they often get it wrong.

I've heard a character from Law & Order: CI refer to a nun who "was a novitiate" at someplace or other. Um, no--though I'm sure as a novice she lived at one.

Just this week on The Black Donnellys the local priest made some reference to divorce still meriting hellfire--he'd help the person in question get an annulment. Last I knew, you had to be civilly divorced even to begin annulment proceedings....

Don't they get people to help them check these things out?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Surely you know I wouldn't do that. (*I* never wrote that phrase on MASH, and I was an agonstic Protestant then.) I think I can safely promise that Barbara won't do it either.

I go nuts at Stupid Catholic Mistakes on television and in movies. How hard is it to check? Turn to the 300 people who work on the show and ask, "Was anyone here raised Catholic?"

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus