Monday, October 09, 2006

"Wonderfully Untranslatable Exchanges"

If you teach college freshmen, you might want to check out my review of A Student's Guide to the Liberal Arts which appeared in the most recent issue of Conversations on Jesuit Higher Education. An excerpt:


". . . the essays are sufficiently dissimilar to appeal to students of various learning styles, while still managing to answer the question: Why on earth would I want to study that? My favorite, and one that is likely to have broad appeal among students, is M. Kathleen Madigan’s essay on “The Study of Language.” It made me eager to study another language! She shares passionately “How I Fell In Love With Languages” and offers a challenge “to think of your study of languages as a lifetime journey which will transform you and increase your understanding of your own language and culture, while enabling you to enter into wonderfully untranslatable exchanges with others.” This, in some ways, sums up the message of each of these essays."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That reminds me, I am supposed to be starting my study of French.

Guess now is as good a time as any.

wish me luck or as the French would say bon chance.

Maggie

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus