Sunday, October 01, 2006

I'm Back, Sort Of

So, last week a Jesuit friend asked me, “Do you miss the blog?” My answer, though I think this was the first time I articulated it, was quick and, given my experience of the last month and a half or so, unsurprising: “Not at all.” Now, before you take offense, this is not to say that I don’t miss my interaction with the many wonderful people that make up my “blogging community.” And the e-mails that I’ve received lately from many of you have served to remind me of my affection for you. But I think it was especially during the uproar over the Pope’s recent remarks that it really hit me—how refreshing it was not to be connected to the Catholic blogosphere during such a moment. How refreshing it was to be free of the exaggerated sense of importance that so many things take on in that milieu. I just tried to read a couple of blogs, even some of my favorite ones, and I couldn’t generate a lot of energy or interest. I know now that it is unlikely that I will return to the level of blog reading/writing that I had gotten to. And I’m still unsure, as a result, what shape this blog might take from this point forward. Since Doubleday has now taken to sending me free books, I suppose I’ll have to throw up the occasional book review. So, look for some comments on Saints Behaving Badly and The Catholic Home (which just arrived yesterday) some time in the near future. What you can count on is that my blogging will be far from regular, more sporadic than before. My blogging will also less concerned with the fights, arguments and rants of fellow bloggers (as I will be reading fewer blogs, and with far less frequency). It’s not because I don’t love you, I just need to focus a lot of my energy on other things as I prepare to be ordained a deacon in a year, and a priest some eight months after that. I’ve got about 10-15 hours of reading to do each week for class, not to mention the commitments of my apostolic work. There are also class papers, articles and books to write. Taking a break from the blog has allowed me to find some balance in all that (except, of course, this week which is going to be crazy!). I need to try to maintain that balance.

So, expect to hear from me from time to time, but in ways that will be a little more low-key. My deepest thanks for all your expressions of support and encouragement! God bless you.

12 Comments:

Blogger god googler said...

Mark...know that whatever you say..even infrequently, is important to all of us.

We miss your blogging but are praying for your ordination...we need good men like you in the priesthood.

MH

1:15 PM  
Blogger H.M. said...

Sounds like the priorities are where they should be, I applaud you. Peace, and I will enjoy your words whenever you post.

Antony
http://tothequiet.blogspot.com

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ad Mejorem Dei Gloriam said...

Hey friend,
You seemed pensive..and peaceful...the last time we spoke. I think you have made a good choice for yourself. Keep discerning. My prayers are with you!
I will keep checking your blog for updates and the like. Mine continues, but that is because I need the release at the moment. I too hav felt overwhelmed by the amount of information that is posted all over the Internet these days. But your blog is one of the few I enjoy reading - stay inspiring and in the company of your God.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Good, now I don't have to feel guilty about my lack of indifference.

Even once a week would be nice. Think of it as reminding us to pray for you.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm glad you've decided to keep a place in your life for the blog and us in the blogosphere. Of course, we continue to hold you in prayer as you continue this important sacred journey. As Mike said, "know that whatever you say, even if infrequently, is important to us."

Thanks for continuing to bless us! And God bless you lots and lots!!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

Welcome back! And I understand...that's why I only read a small amount of blogs, and don't necessarily wade into the firestorms on others. Life's too short.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I look forward to reading what you post whenever you post it. As a 'sort of sort of not' Catholic I am glad to be informed in your respectful way.
I actually was glad to read posts about the Pope's recent speech. I guess my sensitivity for some of the issues was heightened as I had recently flown from Europe all the way back to New Zealand, just after the bomb plot was uncovered in England.
At the weekend I met a couple who had been in Pakistan visiting her brother when the Pope made his speech. They wanted to know what the Pope had said. They were in Pakistan, and were warned that it was safer not to go down to the local village at the time....

4:13 AM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Welcome back!

Everyone needs a "reality check" break...maybe esp. from blogging.

I hope to read from you at least occasionally. Peace, IC

10:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like your break brought you the clarity you were seeking.

Keep us posted on your journey, and what is on your mind, without getting into the fray.

Let us know how things are going and remind us when you particularly need prayer.

Maggie

11:20 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Mark,

You do well to seek out the balance you need to fulfill the that to which God has called you.

After all, in Hebrews 12:1 we read this (all emphasis mine): Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside EVERY weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us

AMDG,

-J.

1:54 PM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

i've missed you, but you already know that :)

i had the saints behaving book in my hand at borders the other day, but opted for an oblation book and "Letters to a Young Catholic" by George Weigel, that is really very interesting. with all else that you do, since you are spending less time here perhaps you'll have more time for reading and guiding your faithful here to which books they should check out?

good to see you, mark.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

Not to corrupt your review of "A Catholic Home," but my friend gave it to me for Christmas two years ago and I wish I had the money in my CCD budget to give one to every family in our program!

It's good to hear from you. I had missed you. Though I missed this post by about a month. :(

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus