Friday, June 30, 2006

The Real Problem

Our friend at Disputations sums it all up very nicely for us: "the real problem with the Jesuits: congruism."

Now, I admit I had to look it up. Here's the definition from scholastic theology for congruity (since congruism only says 'see congruity'):

That, in an imperfectly good person, which renders him suitable for God to bestow on him gifts of grace.

If that's our problem, and since there's no denying that we are imperfectly good, I say "Amen." God, bring it on!

4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Yes, the value that Jesuits (and I) place on the ability for someone to work towards grace. Slightly Pelegian, but it gives us a reason to get up in the morning, doesn't it?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Warren said...

I *love* it. Go Jesuits, go! :-)

Sincerely, your little brother Warren, Secular Franciscan, Toronto

12:28 AM  
Blogger PV said...

I slightly jaw dropped when I saw the word: congruism. I have to look into this matter. Mmmm...till now I never really thought about how grace is given or not. I think that sometimes God gives you grace out-of the blue and sometimes one has to work for it as Liam put it.:-).

4:58 AM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Love it. I need more problems like that. ;)

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus