Sunday, June 25, 2006

Night Walking in NYC


I'm in New York City for a couple of days. You might be surprised to learn that one of my favorite things to do when I'm here is to walk around Manhattan at night. And not in busy places like Times Square, but along the more quiet avenues. Tonight I walked up Madison Ave from midtown to the upper east side, and it was just so peaceful. The streets aren't crowded. The shops are closed. People are gathered at the occasional restaurant or cafe. One can catch glimpses of all manner of people. The older couple looking lovingly into each other's eyes. The well-to-do young fashion plate inviting her mother into her high rent apartment. The family stretched out across the side walk, young girls chirping, and making it hard to get by. I had to walk with them for a while before finding an opening and, contrary to New York City custom, I even said "hello." People not familiar with New York might think such strolls dangerous, but I have rarely felt unsafe walking Manhattan at night. There are far less notorious places I've been where I've not been able to say the same. It's been a long while since my last Manhattan night walk, it reminds me that I need to escape here a bit more often.

1 Comments:

Blogger Garpu said...

Same here. There's something meditative about going for a walk at night. Everything is quieter, somehow.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus