Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bookings

I’ve been “tagged” by Father Ethan, so here it goes:

1. Total Number of Books I've Owned. Impossible to Calculate. Though, technically, I don’t own any books now, still there’s probably a couple hundred in my room.

2. Last Book I Bought. I just bought several at once:
The Chicago Manual of Style
Memory and Identity by John Paul II
Everything Bad is Good For You: How Today’s Popular Culture is Making Us Smarter by Steven Johnson
Getting a Life: How To Find Your True Vocation by Renee LaReau

3. Last Book I Read. I’m usually reading several at once, so here’s the latest:
How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
Swimming With Scapulars by Matthew Lickona
The Autobiography of Saint Ignatius of Loyola
4. Five (Six) Books That Mean A Lot to Me.
The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (politics aside, it’s a good read)
The Autobiography of Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Poverty of Spirit by Johannes Metz
The Confessions of St. Augustine
Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
5. Tag five people and have them do this on their blog.
· Letters to Ryan
· Living Bread
· Some Have Hats
· Musings of a Discerning Woman
· Sister Christer

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any favorite translations of the Confessions and of Ignatius' Autobiography? I'm rather partial to the Henry Chadwick's translation of The Confessions and Joe Tylenda's translation of the Autobiography, but I'm always interested in reading other versions.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Joe,

I like the Chadwick translation, and it is the one I use with students because the language is a bit more accessible. But I do have a place in my heart for the somewhat more poetic Pine-Coffin translation, which is the one I read first. Peter Bernardi also tells me that the more recent translation by Maria Boulding, OSB (New City Press) is very good.

As for The Autobiography, I have the William Young translation, and I like that, but I haven't really compared translations of The Autobiography. At some point, I'd like to read it in Spanish.

Peace,

Mark

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus