Saturday, April 16, 2005

Well, Yeah, Sometimes I was the Only One Laughing

As a welcome remedy to last Friday's movie experience, I ventured out last night to see "Fever Pitch." As a native New Englander and lifetime Red Sox fan, I knew there was little chance that I wouldn't like it. Indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but seeing it here in New Orleans I was aware that sometimes I was the only one in the theater laughing. There were several references that would only touch a cord with those brought up in BoSox culture. I must say I even took a certain pleasure in it, knowing that the curse has been reversed. But beyond just appreciating it as a Red Sox fan, it was a fun film, and amazingly reserved for the Farrelly brothers, of "Dumb and Dumber" fame, who directed the film. Drew Barrymore was her usual cute self and has certainly found her place as an appealing and competent, if not outstanding, actor. Jimmy Fallon, also, is not going to win an Academy Award anytime soon, but he succeeded in portraying this "ordinary guy in love with the Red Sox" kind of quality that was both endearing and familiar. And, thank God, he didn't try to affect some kind of exaggerated Boston accent a la Kevin Costner in "Thirteen Days." It had some of the typical romantic comedy formula to it, but do we ever really get tired of that? And there was the happy ending which we all experienced in October, but will be content to experience again and again and again. My companion was born and raised in Texas and also liked the film very much. So, I think it will play well with non-Sox fans as well. I expect, however, Yankees fans might find it too painful (I must humbly admit a certain pleasure in that as well!). Since I'll be moving to Boston this Fall, it also gave me a glimpse of what I'm looking forward to!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Of course I remember! Hope you're doing well!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus