Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sing This With Me This is 40 . . .


Some of you who are around my age probably know that, back in the 80s, U2 finished all their concerts with a song called "40." I was lucky enough to see them do so twice that decade.

If you know this, you may have noticed that the Psalm at this Sunday morning's mass sounded a little familiar. That's because it was Psalm 40, from which the U2 song gets its name, and lyrics.

This was a happy coincidence as this Sunday also happened to be the day of my 4oth birthday!

Here are the lyrics, as arranged by U2:

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and fear

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long...how long...how long...

I had a fairly sedate birthday with my parents in Key West, a nice place to do it.

I will sing, sing a new song . . .

11 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Happy Birthday to you!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

Happy Birthday Mark!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Moonshadow said...

Good things come in threes! Or fours!

Happy Fortieth!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love U2 & turning 40!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool, a spiritual 40th. I spent my surrounded by family and friends so that I wouldn't feel the urge to cry.

2:18 PM  
Blogger testsjmg said...

Welcome to this side of the divide!

-J.

8:22 PM  
Blogger federoff11 said...

Ahh... I will be 39 this year. And I LOVE this song. I'd forgotten. itunes, here I come!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Happy 40th! Yesterday (22nd) I just turned 50 ;-)
I had a great day - breakfast out with my workmates, takeaway dinner with my friends, and a concert (Ten Tenors) where many in the audience had grey hair. After feeling newly 'old' all day, a lovely woman in her 70s, sitting next to me at the concert, told me I was 'very young'!

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

12:26 PM  
Blogger + Alan said...

I hit the big 40 last year so I'm one up on you. Happy birthday. And that song is serious worship. I've heard them sing it (with the whole audience) twice myself, once in '87 and another in '05? Elevation tour. Good stuff.

11:08 PM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Happy 40th Birthday! I'm a 40 yr old this year as well. So far so good....

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus