Monday, March 12, 2007

Oh, Ricky, You're So Fine . . .

Former child star Ricky Schroder is back to being "Ricky" after starting out his adult years as just "Rick." This week, he begins a stint on "24" that will last through the season.

But what impressed me in a recent interview is that he has four kids, a ranch and has been married to the same woman for almost 15 years! He also seems to have picked up some wisdom along the way:

Q: With two teenagers, how do you keep them in line?

A: Discipline and love. I think discipline's really important and lacking in some situations, some families and communities. I think they need to know you love them, they need to know what expectations you have, and the standards and values you keep. And they have to be corrected when they go off track.

Q: You and wife Andrea have been together 14 years, is that right?

A: Gosh. When did I get married?

Q: I'm putting you on the spot. It's going to be the hardest question all day.

A: I have to go look. Let me see. It's going to be 15 years. Yup, almost 15 years.

Q: So what's your secret to success?

A: What's my secret?

Q: Yes. If there is one.

A: Learning to say your sorry when you screw up. I don't know — choosing the right woman. That helps, big time. In my mind, I've never seen divorce as an option. My parents are together. Her parents are together. You know that old corny phrase, "the grass isn't greener on the other side." But really trying to believe that and live that. So there are going to be peaks and valleys in everything — in your marriage, in your job, in your life. So just enjoy the peaks and ride out the valleys. Just try not to do anything too rash.




I still get teary-eyed when I remember the scene of a dead Jon Voight and little Ricky screaming, "The Champ, the Champ," at the end of the movie of the same name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus