Monday, July 31, 2006

Saint Ignatius, Pray for Us


Up to his twenty-sixth year he was a man given over to the vanities of the world, and took special delight in the exercise of arms, with a great and vain desire of winning glory . . . (So begins Saint Ignatius' Autobiography)

But then things changed.

Saint Ignatius, intercede for us and ask our Lord that as you gave up the exercise of arms, so might the embattled peoples of the world. May the vain desires of people and nations be transformed in, by and to love, so that the world may better know and desire what is for God's greater glory. Amen.


Today is the Feast of our Jesuit founder, Saint Ignatius of Loyola. It is also the day that my brother scholastics and I begin our retreat. Please pray, through the intercession of Saint Ignatius, that as we approach ordination we may receive all the graces we need on this retreat and in the coming years.

This is a silent retreat and therefore both I and this blog go silent for the next eight days. In the meantime, please visit some of my friends: Maggie, Jason, Susan, Amy, Penni, Karen, Steve and Gashwin, to name a few.

8 Comments:

Blogger DP said...

Happy Feast Day!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

Happy feast day, and have a blessed retreat!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy Feast Day. Caleb and I went to a lovely Mass here in NC and the priest asked everyone to "pray for the Jesuits, who continue to do good work throughout the world." (Or maybe he meant it without the comma?) At any rate, we prayed for you. My family could use some of your prayer time, especially in the area of guidance and discernment. If you have time to throw in a word for us. God bless your silence.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Happy Feast! There was a Mass at the Holy Rosary School, attached to the Cathedral, here in Baroda (India) this morning at 8 am (The Bishop is a Jesuit, and I think a lot of the priests are as well), followed by a "get to gather" (to quote the notice on the bulletin board) for parents and students .

Unfortunately, I slept in. :)

Have a wonderful and fruitful retreat!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Blessed feast day, and grace-filled retreat! Enjoy the invitation to "come to the quiet!"

9:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

Silent retreat? Sounds wonderful. Though I might explode if I couldn't talk to myself.

10:12 PM  
Blogger St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

I realized last PM that it was the eve of the feast of St. Ignatius as I started a new book that begins with the 1588 Jesuit "invasion" of England. As I read this, I'll think of you and your brothers during your retreat.

BTW, I've enjoyed reading your contributions to Living Faith.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Feast Day and blessed days of rest and retreat. I will be in contemplation and prayer along with you these days and I will offer up the pain of writing my Modern Philosophy Midterm as well.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus