Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Approaching Priesthood



Well, I survived L.A. despite being nearly trapped there (that's a story for later) and have made my way to the somewhat cooler climes of Sedalia, CO. Here I've joined about 25 of my brother Jesuits, mostly from the U.S., who like myself are within two years of ordination. We're here for the "Arrupe Experience" a conference and retreat in which we have the opportunity to pray and reflect on our preparation for ordination and priesthood in the next two years. It's an exciting time, and something of a milestone for us. And though we've all been Jesuits for about 9 years now, it's hard to believe that time has come! We approach it with excitement, and some anxiety!

Your prayers for us during this time would be most welcome.

7 Comments:

Blogger Garpu said...

How long does the process take? I think for Dominicans it's around 7 years. (I think the process for joining a Benedictine community is about the same time, but ordination isn't usually a part of the novitiate.)

2:52 AM  
Blogger Vitaly Kartsev said...

I will be keeping all of you in my prayers. I envy you being in CO, though -- it's way too hot both here in Paris and at home! :-)

4:39 AM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Ciaviel,

We take our first vows as Jesuits upon completion of our first two years of formation (the novitiate). Including that, our formation up until ordination takes 10 to 11 years. In my case it will be 11, as I entered in 1997 and hope to be ordained in 2008.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So long as this isn't another silent retreat, I don't think I could take another week of extra talking (or rather I don't think mrangelmeg could take another week of overly incessant talking) as an intention for your successful retreat.

Check out my blog for an alternate gift from me to you for a good retreat.

Maggie

12:31 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Maggie,

Thanks for the gift. And though we will be doing our 8-day silent retreat starting Monday, no need to change it. I know Mr angelmeg will be just fine with that.

4:18 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Prayers on the way :-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You are always in my prayers. I would have said an extra prayer if I'd known you were almost stuck in L.A. Egads. I can relate.

And since you just survived that traumatic experience, whatever it was, I won't make any wise cracks about the Arrupe Experience.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus