Sunday, July 23, 2006

Turn Me Over, I'm Done

Well, yesterday began with a nice, even breezy day at Zuma Beach in Malibu, but finished here:

Seems where my brother lives they broke a record yesterday!

Southern California Endures Another Scorcher
By Deborah Schoch and Jeffrey L. Rabin
Times Staff Writers

July 23, 2006

The San Fernando Valley turned into a suburban Death Valley on Saturday as the mercury hit a record 119 in Woodland Hills, causing sweaty refugees to hug iced lattes, plop down on tile floors and, in at least one case, plead with a salesman to part with his last remaining portable air conditioner, a floor model.

"Today I realized I can't function with just a fan," said Susan Mitnik, who lives in a Topanga Canyon cottage. "It feels like everything is radiating heat. My head begins to pound."

Woodland Hills is a heat-hardy community, typically among the hottest locations in Los Angeles County. But the over-the-top temperature on this day sucked the life from normal Saturday activities — traffic was light, sidewalks were virtually empty — and the brave few who ventured out seemed to move in slow-motion, as if underwater.

read the rest.

5 Comments:

Blogger crystal said...

Welcome to my world :-)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

I suddenly feel better about it being "only" 93 today. I'm debating hopping a Sound Transit bus (air conditioned, wifi) and riding to Redomond and back a few times. (I get an unlimited bus pass through my university.)

1:54 PM  
Blogger leonora said...

Wow! 119! And here I am complaining about 115. ;-p

2:32 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

1) I´m jealous Susan got to meet you in Seattle.

2) I can´t believe you´re minutes from my (temporary) place in Ventura, and I´m out of the country.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm SO glad I'm not there. It was 77 here in the NC mountains. And I stopped picking blackberries because I was getting too hot.

Perspective is everything, no?

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus