Sunday, June 25, 2006

Unfinished Stories

Please check out Father Rob Marsh's wonderful reflection "'Firefly' and Finding God's Will." There's something there for the Catholic, the writer, the preacher and the sci-fi fan in all of us. It's especially interesting if you're a fan of the "Firefly" TV series and/or the wonderful novel The Sparrow.:

"Our ordinary time seems to demand we make it less ordinary. We want to tell a story that gives it significance, finds a meaning, and even points a way forward. We want a pattern in our lives too: we want to see their significance, know their meaning, and make the choices that keep the story alive.

We like our stories to have beginning, middle and end. I always like it when the books I read have chapter titles and not just numbers. I like it even better when they have a little quotation to get me thinking about what it all means.

A little while ago I was given the DVDs of a science fiction show I’d wanted to see but missed called “Firefly” – think Cowboys and Indians in spaceships – and it’s a lot of fun, and very well written, with 8 or 9 well-drawn characters that over the short series grow and take shape and show their stories and change each other in all sorts of ways and hint at secrets and stories yet to be told. Because it was a series that was cancelled part way through. A story with no ending. With loose ends. A dozen stories still waiting to be told. And my intense curiosity about each character and what they still had left to tell, and about the group, the whole, and their collective story which seemed to be going … somewhere, having some significance. I hate not knowing what happens to Inara. I really want to know who Shepherd Book really is and where Simon and his sister are headed. And I never will. Unless I make it up myself. And that doesn’t really work. Because half the pleasure is not in making up, but in appreciating the reality of the characters and the sense that behind them there is an author with a hope."


Go, read the whole thing!

2 Comments:

Blogger crystal said...

I read an interesting interview/conversation between Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials) and Archbishop Rowan Williams ... fantasy and science fiction are not alien to religion :-)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

excellent ... thanks for the tip

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus