Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh, the Pain of Writing . . .

I have a feeling that Garrison Keillor didn't know what to write for his column this week, so he wrote this:

Writers, Quit Whining

May 3, 2006 | OK, let me say this once and get it off my chest and never mention it again. I have had it with writers who talk about how painful and harrowing and exhausting and almost impossible it is for them to put words on paper and how they pace a hole in the carpet, anguish writ large on their marshmallow faces, and feel lucky to have written an entire sentence or two by the end of the day.

It's the purest form of arrogance: Lest you don't notice what a brilliant artist I am, let me tell you how I agonize over my work. To which I say: Get a job. Try teaching eighth-grade English, five classes a day, 35 kids in a class, from September to June, and then tell us about suffering . . .


Nevertheless, he makes some good points.

read the rest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Sue said...

What if you've taught September to June AND managed to write a novel? Then do you get to whine?

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister, yes you do! You also get to brag :)

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus