Monday, March 06, 2006

I'd Like To Thank the Academy . . .


Oscar night is over, and a few things were notable.

Jon Stewart was nervous.

George Clooney has jump-started a possible political career.

"It's Hard Out Her For a Pimp" won best song (no kidding!) [though, note: Winners Three 6 Mafia were the only winners who thanked Jesus!]

Lauren Bacall, ever classy, went from tragic to triumphant in 30 seconds.

Joke of the night: Bjork was unable to make it tonight, Dick Cheney shot her dress.

The Lily Tomlin-Meryl Streep introduction of Robert Altman was magic!

Ben Stiller's presentation for Visual Effects wasn't magic, but that's what made it so funny!

And, thanks to the Academy for awarding Best Picture to "Crash." Not only was it my favorite, but in doing so they unwittingly saved the blogosphere from the days of vitriolic ranting we would have been subjected to had "Brokeback Mountain" won.

(And, in case you were wondering, the Oscar I am holding is genuine. It was awarded to a friend of mine's father for "When You Wish Upon a Star" in 1940. She came by last night, and brought Oscar with her.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Bill Cork said...

So, you go to Boston and grow a goatee.

I had one once ... grew it for a play. My wife made me shave it off afterwards ... "It's prickly."

10:44 AM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

how cute are you?

(is that appropriate to say? i hope so....or i can say "God did some fine work on that Mark....)

i think Jon Stewart did pretty well. he is one of my favorites (along with Stephen Colbert) and i agree about Lauren Bacall. it is sad to see, but she recovered pretty nicely.

nice statue :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I noticed the same thing about the Jesus reference!!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
I just found your site and will keep an eye on it. As I sift through Catholic blogs I am looking for something. Not sure what it is, but your blog seems to have it.
Take care.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Hehe Mark -- same friend has let me be photographed with same Oscar ... :-) Nice to see it getting some blogfame ...

Saluti da Roma!

6:22 PM  
Blogger leonora said...

You've got to watch the Grammys or the Source Awards to hear the winners thank God and their mother before thanking their agent. I forgot where I saw it, but in one comedy spoof of a hip hop award show, the teleprompter prompted: "I'd like to thank God and my mama..."

Peace out!
Ms. L

6:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved Steven Colbert's fake lobbying comercial's. They were the perfect blend of his wit and himor.

The one for Sound editing paid for by the guys mom was priceless.

I was so pleased about Crash as well. I still say that will be the movie that people will be talking about 10 years from now when Brokeback will be a distant memory.

Jennifer Garner did an awesome job of covering when she almost did a headder by saing that she did her own stunts.

Maggie

Oh and Mark,

RE the picture: someday . . .

7:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I was so pleased about Crash as well. I still say that will be the movie that people will be talking about 10 years from now when Brokeback will be a distant memory."

Nope. Just the opposite. Brokeback limned love; Crash tension. Tensions fade;love never does.

7:26 PM  
Blogger ukok said...

Mark, congratulations on your recent blog recognition ( Catholic Blog Awards). You deserve an Oscar and so much more :-)

God Bless.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus