Saturday, March 04, 2006

Come On, Popsicles?


Here's something new. Kind of a guest column. Jim Martin, taking note of my previous post about his recent appearance on NPR, offers this follow-up story:

For those of you who don't think that God has a sense of humor, try this on for size. As part of my commentary for NPR, listeners heard that my Lenten penance (traditionally assigned by a longtime friend who is Jewish) was to give up popsicles, pumpkinseeds and meatballs. (I know, he sometimes selects strange things.) At least five or ten of my friends who heard the NPR piece, said, "Oh, please, popsicles? How hard is that to give up, especially in the winter?" In any event, two days later, I started directing a weekend retreat at a Jesuit retreat house in Gloucester, Mass. Last night I was watching TV with one of my favorite old Jesuits. Around 9:00, feeling a little hungry, I padded over to their small fridge, opened it up and saw nothing but...a huge box of popsicles. And God said, "Ha!" So begins Lent this year.

Update: I spoke to Jim after the retreat. He told me that later at one of the meals they served soup with--you guessed it--meatballs.

You'll find a link to Jim's new book on my new YDML Bookshelf below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

What I want to know is, did the favorite jesuits make a mad dash to the mini-mart to pick up some popsicles for the fridge after hearing the bit on npr? Or did the box have a little freezer burn on it? :)

2:12 AM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

More likely the latter (but you can't count out that other possibility!).

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus