Thursday, February 16, 2006

"The Mission" in Bolivia


Amy links to a post at Shrine of the Holy Whapping on the Jesuit missions in Bolivia.

I had the privilege of visiting two of these missions (San Javier and Concepcion) a few years ago, and they are amazing!

While the Jesuits are still remembered fondly by the people who live in these mission areas, the churches have been ably staffed by the Franciscans since the suppression of the Jesuits in the 18th century.

We stayed several days with the Franciscans at the above church in Concepcion, where I saw one of the most amazing night skies I have ever seen!

The photo is taken from Bolivia--Una vuelta por el mundo which has some amazing photographs from all over Bolivia.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love it!

As for the night sky, my most incredible memories of Malawi are the skies. Living in the city, we forget how extraordinary the night really is, and how inspiring it has been to mystics, poets, and scientists alike. Breathtaking, truly

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "Omis"! Could you please point out where to find great pics of the Malawi skies?

And Mark, did you have the chance to visit the Lago Titicaca or the Salar de Uyuni?

¡Gracias! :)

11:20 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Estefania,

Yes, I visited Copa Cabana and Lago Titicaca. It was beautiful, though a bit cold. I'm not sure what the Salar de Uyuni is, so I'm guessing I didn't make it there.

Peace,

Mark

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estefania,

I'll post one on my blog.

higherplane.typepad.com

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus