Sunday, December 18, 2005

Not Exactly the Fiat


This weekend was a homily after my own heart. The call of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was suggested as something of a contemporary retelling of the Annunciation. Teenage girl's life is interrupted to be told that she is called to a higher purpose. It fits. But, as you might imagine, Buffy's response isn't exactly "let it be done unto me." She's, well, a bit more resistant, but eventually embraces her role in the saving of Sunnydale. Here's a couple of her responses:

From the 1992 film:

“All I want to do is graduate from high school, move to Europe, marry Christian Slater, and die. Now that might not sound too great to a sconehead like you, but I think it's swell. And now you show up and tell me I'm a member of the hairy mole club so you can THROW things at me? I don't THINK so.”

From the 1997-2003 TV series:

“I thought, Homecoming Queen, I could open a yearbook someday and say 'I was there, I went to high school and had friends and for just one minute I got to live in the world.' And then there'd be proof. Proof I was chosen for something other than this. Besides, I look cute in a tiara.”

No, Buffy most definitely is not Mary, but at least in this regard is, I think, a pretty good model for accepting one's vocation. I discuss Buffy and Joan of Arcadia as contemporary models of vocation in a piece I did for Busted Halo.

Blessings to you all in your last week of Advent!

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire Joy said...

I was so disappointed when they dumped Joan of Arcadia. They took a lot of risks and it was just getting to a really interesting exploration of how evil exists in the world. Maybe that topic was way too risky in itself…

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus