Friday, December 16, 2005

From Harvard Back to New Orleans

From a nice piece in the Harvard Crimson by a Tulane student headed back to New Orleans:

So Long, and Thanks

Published On Friday, December 16, 2005 12:40 AM


. . . These people made my past few months as close to a normal semester as I could have hoped. They are the real gems of the Harvard community. In five years, I might not remember everything I learned about French history or Spanish literature, but I will never forget the people I met here. To all of you, I am forever indebted. The situation after Katrina was worrying and confusing at first, and it threw my life plan more than a little off track, but thanks to the amazing generosity and support I have found here I am surely a better person for it.



Mindful of the manners my mama taught me, however, I am careful not to overstay my welcome, and I am always looking for ways to repay the kindness that I have been shown. This is the real reason I am so eager to return to New Orleans. I have learned so much in my time here, including the real difference that students can make. There is a zeal for service at Harvard unlike I have ever seen, and I hope I can carry that back to New Orleans to help restore the city that is so close to my heart. I know that all of the visiting Tulane students want to make the Harvard community proud, by giving to those even less privileged the way that you gave to us.




The hospitality you have shown the Gulf Coast students here in Cambridge has been overwhelming, but I look forward to showing you a welcome in the Big Easy like you have never seen. All the students from New Orleans, whether they have lived there a year or a lifetime, love it fiercely and know what an amazing city it is. They also know that no one will rest until it is returned to all of its former glory. I want to restore New Orleans to the heaven on earth that I brag about so often; then I can have you down and show you around. If there is one thing I love it is to have guests in my home and show off the many wonders of the Crescent City. You can bet there will be a few spots in my living room reserved for Harvardians come Mardi Gras 2006. So as we change our snow boots for sandals and that dirty water for the dirty South, I thank you again, and I hope to see you soon.




Laissez les bon temps rouler!


Read it from the beginning.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, have a great weekend.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus