Monday, December 12, 2005

Fall in Love


One of my favorite bits of wisdom from Pedro Arrupe, S.J., who was Superior General of the Jesuits from 1961-1984:

Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way.

What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.

Fall in love, stay in love and it will decide everything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really says it all in a nutshell. Great quote and I think I'll file that one away for future reminding myself of this truth. Thanks.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I'll never forget the first time I stumbled upon that. My heart just about stopped! It was what I'd been experiencing in a nutshell, and was one of my first major clues that there might be something to this whole business!

9:36 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

That's beautiful. Loyola Marymount used it in an ad and I ended up saving the ad and showing it to various people. "Look at this! Isn't this wonderful!"

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is posted on my door of my office, right next to Merton's prayer that begins My Lord God I may not know where I am going . . .

but I do know what I am in love with.


Maggie

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus