Thursday, July 28, 2005

Summer Reading, Light

Looking for something to read this summer, but not ready to tackle that 800-page best seller? It's always nice to have a few thinner volumes around to glance at and not feel overwhelmed. This summer, I'm currently reading a few:

Awake My Soul: Contemporary Catholics on Traditional Devotions, edited by James Martin, S.J.

Basil in Blunderland, by Cardinal Basil Hume

Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith, by Anne Lamott (and her Traveling Mercies, also a thinner volume, is one of my all-time favorites).

Orthodoxy, by G.K. Chesterton (this one, though short, is a bit slower going)

Others that I recommend:

The Strangest Way, by Fr. Robert Barron

Return of the Prodigal Son, by Fr. Henri Nouwen

Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith, by Kathleen Norris (not a thin volume, but each essay is only about 2-5 pages long and written masterfully!)

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L'Engle

Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer, by Mark Thibodeaux, S.J.

Lying Awake, by Mark Salzman

Atticus, by Ron Hansen

In the Heart of the World, by Mother Teresa

A Generous Orthodoxy, by Brian McLaren

God Underneath, by Edward L. Beck, C.P.

Contemplatives in Action, by William Barry, S.J. and Robert Doherty, S.J.

Flannery O'Connor: Spiritual Writings, Edited by Robert Ellsberg

I'm not going to take the time to give you all the links. Sorry.

Happy Reading!

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I read through the bulk of Plan B while waiting in line to buy my Harry Potter book. I loved it ... I plan to read her other books now.

I love a spiritual book that makes you laugh because, well, life is kind of funny.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read Contemplatives In Action and really enjoyed it. It was an easy read, and another look at those darn Jesuits, that I have come to love so much.

Maggie

Wish I had time for more personal reading, just keeping up with what I have to read is chore enough. My stack of books for when my time is my own is getting pretty high.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus