Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What's So Great About "SIN CITY"?

I don't consider myself too squeamish, but after an hour of "Sin City," I'd had enough. Yes, the movie is visually interesting, but I wish the visuals were something other than blood spatter and limbs (and heads) being hacked off. Maybe I should have known better; after all, the movie is called "Sin City." However, I just can't imagine how the critics could be so enthusiastic about it. Isn't the test of a good story is that you can develop sympathy for at least one of the characters? Even the "good" characters were pretty psychotic. Save, perhaps, for Bruce Willis' character who dies almost immediately. After "Sin City," I would have been glad to spend more time with the main characters in "Closer." And, if you've read my comments about "Closer" in a previous post, that's saying a lot!!

Besides all this, I think what disturbed me the most was the audience's laughter at some of the most grotesque scenes. And the fact that among the worst of the bad guys were a couple of priests didn't help. I had to ask myself, "Why am I here?" Finding no satisfactory answer, I left the theater. If you want to be immersed in sin and gore for two hours (even if it is cartoonish!), go for it, but I'd pass!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
Pax Christi!
Hilarious! I just watched 'Closer' on DVD the other day; what trash! I don't know if you remember me but I was a novice at Grand Coteau a while back. I entered with Anthony Wieck and Derrick Weingartner. I don't know how I stumbled across your blog but I did. Nice work!
I've been married for 3 years (Shannon), and have a daughther (Sophia) and am finishing up law school in Chicago. I'll be heading back to Detroit after graduation to work for a firm there. All is well with me. Count on my prayers for you and your ministry. Give Fr. Kitten my best.
In Christo,
David

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHoops, Already posted this yesterday, didn't think it took.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus