Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Little Help, Please

To further add to the confusion about who speaks for the Catholic Church, some group calling itself "The Catholic Leadership Conference" is issuing statements about what Catholics should believe.

After a bit of research I've found that the group seems to have been around for about four years, but as far as I can tell their statements are made without any indication of who they are. One statement I found had a dead link that supposedly told you who was supporting their statement.

Can anyone illuminate me on this?

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

"Membership in CLC is open to the head officers of Catholic apostolates with a national reach."

http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=1&art_id=10433

8:24 AM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Thanks Steve, that helps. But still I'm wondering, "Who are these people?"

If you're going to make public statements that carry the air of authority, it seems to me you have to be public about who you are.

Otherwise, I could make up my own organization, call it say, "The Conference of Committed Catholics," and start issuing my own statements!

This may not be true of this group. Their membership may be very public, and perhaps I just haven't found the list yet.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I found two or three people listed in various contexts ... but no membership list.

Maybe just email someone?

7:17 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Did you see Jimmy Akin today?

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2005/11/ten_principle_f.html

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus