Monday, October 24, 2005

And a Blessed Sunday to You Too, Father

Yesterday I attended Mass at a parish up on the North Shore of Massachusetts. I was wearing my blue windbreaker, since I'm just not up to breaking out the winter jacket yet. After Mass the priest was standing at the back of the Church, as priests often do. But he wasn't shaking hands as I expected. Indeed, when I said, "Thank you, Father," he kept his hands at his side, looked at me and said, "Winter coats from now on." I won't be back at that parish next Sunday, but I kinda got the impression that if I were to come back, I'd better be wearing my winter coat!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Must be one of those secret Boston brahmin insider ettiquet things. :) (And we're glad it's finally in the 60s down here ... :))

8:41 PM  
Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Granted I wasn't there so don't have a good sense of the body language, facial expression, etc. that accompanied the priest's comment, but I'd interpret it as a reference to the weather - i.e., "It's going to get cold soon, so you won't be wearing a windbreaker much longer."

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such love...

3:14 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

ah the hospitality!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

As a native New Englander, I can say that in some ways, that WAS hospitality! We just have a funny way of showing it sometimes!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus