Thursday, October 06, 2005

Finally, "Silence"?

The film rights to one of my favorite novels, Silence, by Japanese Catholic novelist Shukasu Endo, have been floating around Hollywood for many years now. Martin Scorcese has owned the rights most recently, but it's been a while. It seems, finally, that this might be his next film. It's an amazing story about Jesuit missionaries to Japan during the persecution of the Church there. Thelma Schoonmaker, a film editor who has worked with Scorcese for many years says this:

Do you have any idea what you will be doing next?

A movie called 'Silence', which is based on a great Japanese novel about 16th century Portuguese missionaries in Japan. It's something very close to Scorsese's heart – he's wanted to make it for many years but he's never really had the time to write the script and get it funded. But we're all hoping that this time it's going to happen, and it looks like we're going to shoot it in New Zealand as well. That will be very exciting, and I think I will have to do a lot of research for that one!

If it happens, this should be an amazing Catholic film, and I think Scorcese will give the story its due.

Go Marty!!

More on this great novel here and here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fidelio said...

Cool. I like the blog...we'll pray for you in your studies!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the book, and I'm glad it's being filmed, but I don't have much faith in Scorsese anymore. He's got a Gibson/Tarantino obsession with violence and brutality. Expect a Japanese version of the scourging scene. I found "The Aviator" so over the top and his Dylan documentary underwhelming. Let's hope he can pull out one last great film and rise to the occasion of a book more Catholic than even Scorsese's early film "Mean Streets." - Grant

10:28 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Judson said...

I hadn't heard of the book before this. Thanks for the info. I've linked.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

wow...that's one of my favorite books ever. i hope the film does it justice.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus