Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Brew-Ha-Ha


Today I met with my new spiritual director, an older Jesuit about 30 years my senior. After introductions and a bit of conversation, he leaned back, settled into his chair and said, "What's the brew?"

I thought, Oh God! Is this some kind of sixties hippie code for: what's going on in your spiritual life?

I wasn't quite sure how to respond. Until I realized, he wasn't looking at me. He was looking at the Starbuck's coffee I'd brought with me.

"Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino," I offered, a bit embarassed (of course, I didn't tell him what I'd been thinking).

The rest of the meeting went quite well.

But it does cause me to wonder: Is my spiritual life like a Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino?

9 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

if it is, yum.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Amy Giglio said...

You are so funny, Frappuccino man!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your spiritual sometimes seems a little mixed, sometimes sweet, sometimes bitter, and has the potential to give you a headache when gone after too much, then perhaps yes, it is like a Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino.

Either way, it probably goes well with a Weisswurst. ;-)

10:31 PM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

you crack me up. i would have taken it the same way, like "what be the haps?"

:)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm, sounds intriguing, but I find it difficult to imagine that I could be drawn away from the blissful delights found in the white chocolate moca!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is funny....sixties, hippie code??

11:32 AM  
Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

I think that's my Mom who commented above, so y'all better behave!

For the record, my Mom was not a hippie, so I'm sure she was not offended (not that anyone who was should be) :)

Mark

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, it made me smile!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe the kind of brew we choose says something about where we are on the journey ... just a thought!
By the way, this is a great blog, glad I found it.
Blessings,
Lisa
cullensdaughter@aol.com

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus