Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Unfit to Print?

My letter to the New York Times that, evidently, was unfit to print:

To the Editor:

After reading David Kirpatrick's November 16 article "Catholic Bishops, After a Divisive Debate Choose a New Leader," I hope that Catholics and non-Catholics alike found themselves, as I did, disturbed by its suggestions. Why would a Catholic Bishop be considered "liberal" because "he sometimes emphasizes issues like poverty, the death penalty and war, as well as abortion"? I would expect the same of all the Bishops. I was also especially troubled by William Donohue's suggestion in the same article of a fight "between the social justice and the pro-life sides of the Catholic Church." Woven as the two are into the fabric of Catholic social teaching, isn't there only one Catholic "side" in these matters? If such a fight does exist, there is nothing Catholic about it. The promotion of life and the promotion of justice are at the core of Christ's teaching. If Catholics are divided on these lines, then we have a lot more to be concerned about than who is leading the Bishop's conference.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Sean,

I'm not quite so cynical about NYT, as I know many are. However, I was bummed that they didn't recognize that my letter was just screaming out to be published! What were they thinking?

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this site is the responsibility of its author and administrator, Mark Mossa, SJ, and does not necessarily represent the Society of Jesus